Welcome to the website for Saltzer, Kaashoek: Principles of Computer System Design: An Introduction.
Principles of Computer System Design
About this Web site
This Web site provides copies of some resources and links to other resources, all of which support the textbook Principles of Computer System Design by Saltzer & Kaashoek. The resources include:
- Presentation on how this book fits into the computer science curriculum
- Links to related materials at MIT OpenCourseWare
- Link to the Web site used for the current teaching term at MIT
- The full text of chapters 7-11 and related materials
- A complete set of figures from the textbook in EPS, PPT, PDF
- Links to related resources elsewhere on the Web
- Links to course pages of other colleges and universities using the textbook
A separate instructors site, which requires registration, contains answers to the end-of-chapter exercises and solutions to the problem sets.
Presentation on Computer Science Curriculum
A slide presentation describing how a course that uses this textbook can fit into a computer science curriculum was given at the Thirteenth Workshop on Computer Architecture Education held in Boston in June 2006
The authors and MIT OpenCourseWare provide, free of charge, on-line versions of the following two resources:
The author maintained site (http://ocw.mit.edu/Saltzer-Kaashoek) includes:
- Complete frontmatter for Parts I and II (Table of Contents, List of sidebars, Preface, Acknowledgments, Computer System Design Principles)
- Full text of chapters 7 through 11 in PDF (also available from this page, below)
- Figures from chapters 7 through 11
- Complete comprehensive index for chapters 1 through 11
- Additional problem sets
- Reading list
- Errata for Parts I and II
Snapshot of 6.033 Computer System Engineering (2009)
Additional teaching and support materials, including lecture videos/notes, are available at:
Current MIT Course Page
The MIT site for the current course using the textbook and archives of older teaching materials are available at:
Click the "Schedule" link to access additional links to readings, lecture notes, assignments, and lecture slides*.
*Slides are not available for all lectures.
(Some copyrighted or privacy-sensitive materials are restricted to current MIT students.)
Full Text of Chapters 7-11
Chapters 7 through 11 are available as PDF documents from the links below.
Images from Text
Figures and diagrams from the text are available in EPS, MS PowerPoint (PPT), and Adobe Acrobat (PDF).
All Figures From The Text
(available online at http://ocw.mit.edu/Saltzer-Kaashoek)
Courses Using This Text
Links to courses that are using this text will be provided below as they become available.
If you would like more information on including your own course in this list, please contact Nate McFadden at email@example.com.
Information provided in this document is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Every effort has been made to ensure accuracy and conformance to standards accepted at the time of publication. The reader is advised to research other sources of information on these topics.
The user assumes the entire risk as to the accuracy and the use of this document. This document may be copied and distributed subject to the following conditions:
All text must be copied without modification and all pages must be included;
All copies must contain the appropriate copyright notice and any other notices provided therein; and
This document may not be distributed for profit.