About the Author
Jacqueline B. Marcus, MS, RD, LD, CNS, FADA is President/Owner of Jacqueline B. Marcus & Associates, a multi-service food and nutrition consulting firm in Highland Park, Illinois, USA. She holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Family, Consumer and Nutrition Sciences and a Master of Science degree in Food and Nutrition from Northern Illinois University.
She consults to national and international organizations; lectures locally, nationally and internationally to professional and lay audiences; addresses national and local media; writes for scientific and lay publications; conducts classes for community, education, business and industrial groups; supplies expert testimony and chairs professional associations.
Jacqueline has taught at undergraduate, graduate and culinary schools and was a featured instructor in a national satellite broadcast on nutrition and fitness throughout the life cycle. She was a culinary nutrition instructor at Great Lakes Naval Base in Great Lakes, Illinois; Assistant Professor of Nutrition at The Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago (CHIC) in Chicago, Illinois and Associate Professor and Department Chair of Human and Culinary Nutrition at Kendall College in Chicago, Illinois.
As a food and nutrition consultant, Jacqueline has worked with companies and organizations including Ajinomoto USA, Alberto Culver, Aldi US, Barilla, Best Foods, Brunswick, Campbell’s Healthcare, Custom Culinary, Dominick’s Finer Foods, Hoops4Health, Inland Steel, IBM, Kellogg's, Laura’s Lean Beef, Lean Cuisine, Lettuce Entertain You, McDonald's, OrganicLife, Physicians WEIGHT LOSS Centers, and Quaker Oats and agencies including J. Walter Thompson, Burson-Marsteller, Daniel J. Edelman and the MWW Group. At Physicians WEIGHT LOSS Centers she was the Director of Nutrition Services and responsible for the development, implementation and assessment of national weight control, fitness and behavior modification programs.
Jacqueline’s list of publications is extensive, including:
- editor/publisher of Sports-Nutrition News, an international bi-monthly food and fitness newsletter;
- editor-in-chief of Sports Nutrition: A Guide for the Professional Working with Active People published by the American Dietetic Association;
- author and publisher of Wooden Door Diet Plan and Cookbook and More Recipes from Wooden Door for the health spa/retreat in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin;
- author of Healthwalk and Manual of Behavior Modification for Physicians WEIGHT LOSS Centers;
- script writer of Women and Fitness for Journal Films;
- test writer for the American Dietetic Association National Registration Examination and content reviewer for the Journal of the American Dietetic Association and the American Dietetic Association Complete Food and Nutrition Guide
- an invited chapter author of Modifying Flavour in Food published by Woodland Publishing Limited in Cambridge, England
- editor of Curry Bible, Soup Bible and Chinese, Indian, Italian, Seafood and Spanish cookbooks for Penguin USA;
- editor of Crock-Pot The Original Slow Cooker Comfort Food Diet Cookbook and The Diabetic CrockPot Cookbook for Publications International and developed recipes for Diabetic Cooking magazine, also published by Publications International
- feature writer on food, nutrition and fitness for Today’s Chicago Woman, Pioneer Press (14 publications), and Today’s Dietitian where she also served on the editorial board and for cyberdiet.com, HealthDigest.com, mediconsult.com and more.com.
- Nutrition Editor of both LowCarb Energy and Cooking Smart magazines and their websites
- authored cover stories in Food Technology, Asian Restaurant News, Dietetic Manager and Today’s Dietitian.
- exposure in Chicago and suburban newspapers, and publications and websites including American Health, Better Homes & Gardens, Bicycling, Discovery, Food for Health, Food Technology, Innova Market Insights, Nation's Restaurant News, Newsweek, Restaurants and Institutions, The Runner, Runner's World, Shape, Sportswise, Sports Illustrated, TIME (US, Japan and Europe), Vegetarian Times, Vital, Weight Watcher's and World of Food Ingredients.
- develops and writes consumer recipes for Publications International, including Diabetic Cooking
- invited member of the Editorial Board of The Innova Database
Jacqueline is a frequent media spokesperson both locally and nationally, and has represented a variety of products and organizations on media tours. She was a nutrition reporter for WBBM-TV during Taste of Chicago; a panelist in Nutrition and Fitness Throughout the Life Cycle, a national televised program by The American Dietetic Association and a featured expert in Long Walk to the Olympics, a PBS documentary about the United States Olympic Race Walking Team.
A food and nutrition consultant to Olympic teams and athletes, including gymnasts, weight lifters, bicyclists, runners, walkers and ice skaters, she was also a nutrition consultant to the Pan American Games, nutritionist and spokesperson for the Olympic Race Walking Team and nutritionist to the United States Olympic Committee. She toured nationally with the United States Olympic track and field coaches and presented sports nutrition seminars.
Her professional awards and recognitions include:
- “Ground Breaker” dietitian by Restaurants and Institutions
- featured by Restaurants and Institutions as an “Off the Beaten Path” dietitian
- distinguished as an outstanding food and nutrition consultant in Nation’s Restaurant News OnSite.
- listed in Outstanding Young Women of the Midwest, America and the World.
- awarded the Excellence Award for Private Practice by the American Dietetic Association Foundation, one of the highest awards bestowed to a Registered Dietitian
- certified as a Charter Fellow of the American Dietetic Association which recognizes exceptional professional ability and expertise.
- helped McDonald's launch the McLean Deluxe sandwich at a news conference that had international reach
- past Chairperson of both Food & Culinary Professionals (FCP) and Sports and Cardiovascular Nutritionists (SCAN), national dietetic practice groups of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetic Association).
- serves on the executive board as Past-chair of Food & Culinary Professionals.
- Past-president of the Chicago Dietetic Association and was honored for her leadership and contribution to the dietetics profession as their Outstanding Dietitian of the Year.
- served on the board of directors of the Chicago and North Suburban Dietetic Associations, the Chicago Nutrition Association and on an executive committee of the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
- winner Chef Michael Kornick’s (of mk’s restaurant in Chicago) culinary writing competition and earned a trip to Chez Panisse in Berkeley, California to stage with Alice Waters.
- elected to the Executive Board of Directors of Dietitians in Business and Communications of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics-June 2013-2014
Among many national and international presentations, Jacqueline was the featured speaker at the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) Annual Conference in both San Diego, California and Seattle, Washington; the American Personal Chef Association (APCA) Annual Summit in Phoenix, Arizona; the Fourth, Fifth and Sixth International Conference on Culinary Arts and Sciences (ICCAS) at Orebro University in Grythyttan, Sweden, Warsaw Agricultural University (SGGW) in Warsaw, Poland and the University of Stavanger in Stavanger, Norway; the American Dietetic Association Food & Nutrition Conference & Exhibition in Dallas, Texas; the Institute of Food Technologists Annual Meeting in Las Vegas, Nevada; the American Culinary Federation Annual Meeting in Orlando, Florida; the Ontario Long Term Care Association and Retirement Communities Convention and Trade Show in Toronto, Canada; the Dietetic Managers Association Meeting in Washington, DC; the Society of Nutrition Education Annual Meeting in Kansas City, Kansas and state dietetic association meetings in Alabama, Arizona, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Utah and Washington State, among others.
Jacqueline’s diverse speaking engagements cover topics such as taste and aging at the first Oxford Round Table on Food and Nutrition at Oxford University in Oxford, England; college students’ food choices at the first Oxford Roundtable on Preventive Health: Intervention and Progress, also at Oxford University in Oxford, England; antioxidants at Food Fete, a functional foods expo in New York City; the fifth taste of umami at a pre-ADA Food and Nutrition Exhibition and Conference in Chicago, Illinois; practical applications of taste enhancement at the American Culinary Federation Convention in Orlando, Florida; how to feed picky eaters at the Society of Nutrition Education Annual Meeting in Kansas City, Kansas and many more.
Jacqueline recently completed Culinary Nutrition: The Science and Practice of Healthy Cooking (Elsevier, 2014), the first textbook, e-book and companion website that integrate nutrition, food science and the culinary arts with creative, didactic, hands-on approaches for teaching students with diverse capabilities; complete with laboratory-type activities, recipes and photographs to enhance learning.
Jacqueline B. Marcus, MS, RD, LD, CNS, FADA
Jacqueline B. Marcus and Associates
Food and Nutrition Consultants
Highland Park, Illinois 60035 USA