Welcome to the website for Harrington, J: Relational Database Design and Implementation, 4th Edition.
Fully revised, updated, and expanded, Relational Database Design and Implementation, Fourth Edition, is the most lucid and effective introduction to relational database design and the database environment available. Here you’ll find the conceptual and practical information you need to develop a design that ensures data accuracy and user satisfaction while optimizing performance, regardless of your experience level or choice of DBMS.
This edition retains its in-depth coverage of the process of designing a good relational database as well as three major case studies illustrating the planning and design steps involved in arriving at a sound design. For the first time, it also includes coverage of all major capabilities of SQL (creating database structures, querying, and using advanced techniques such as windowing). This edition also contains chapters covering the environment in which databases run, as well as an examination of object-relational and NoSQL databases.
- Concepts needed to create effective relational database designs.
- Theoretical and practical guidelines for normalizing relational databases.
- The impact of database design on data accuracy and consistency.
- Examples of how design can inhibit or boost database application performance.
- Using SQL to implement database structure, manipulate data values, and retrieve data.
- The overall systems analysis and design process during which database design takes place.
- Database implementation issues including database security, concurrency control, and integration with XML.
- Techniques for using CASE tools for database design.
- The relationship between relational database design and data warehouse design.
- Enhancements and alternatives to the relational database model such as object-relational databases and NoSQL databases.
This site provides the following resources:
- Case studies
- Scripts for recreating the sample database used in the SQL portion of the book